Third Grade English Language Arts Test
Students in the Third grade will be taking the new 3rd Grade English Language Arts (ELA) Test. This test replaces the third grade reading OAA and will meet the requirements of the Third Grade Reading Guarantee. The Ohio Achievement Assessments (OAA) will no longer be administered. This new ELA test, like the OAA, will be administered 2 times during the school-year, fall and spring. Students in Franklin will be taking the paper version of this test on December 1, 2015. Click here for the FAQ's for the Third Grade Reading Guarantee.
As part of the 2016-2018 budget bill, the General Assembly directed the Ohio Department of Education to transition to new assessments for the 2015-2016 school year in mathematics and English language arts. Per the new law, Ohio will cease the use of PARCC tests. Instead, the Ohio Department of Education is working with the American Institutes for Research (AIR) – which has provided Ohio's science and social studies assessments – to develop Ohio’s math and English language arts tests.
- Students in grades 3-8 and high school will take Ohio’s State Tests in English language arts, mathematics, science and social studies in the 2015-2016 school year.
- Ohio’s State Tests measure student progress toward Ohio’s Learning Standards. Ohio teachers will be helping to select the items that will be on the tests.
- Tests range from 150-210 minutes long and can be divided into 2 parts. Click here for the complete listing of testing times for each test.
- All tests will be given during one testing window this year, April 4 to May 13.
- Specific dates for testing at Franklin City Schools has yet to be determined as well as the decision to test in paper format or on computers.
- There are a number of key pieces in Ohio education that are staying the same. Our Ohio Learning Standards have been in place since 2010 and Ohio teachers continue to locally develop lessons around these more challenging standards.
Elementary and Junior High School
3-8-ELA and M; 4 and 6-SS; 5 and 8-Sci
3rd Grade will also take the English Language Arts (ELA) between Nov. 30- Dec. 11.
High School (Graduation class of 2018 and beyond) Click here for Graduation Requirements
ELA I, ELA II, Alg. I, Geometry, A.H., Govt., Physical Science (Biology will be required for 2019 and beyond)
10th, 11th ,12th – OGT (class of 2016-17) and A.H., Govt.
There are a number of key pieces in Ohio education that are staying the same. Our Ohio Learning Standards have been in place since 2010 and Ohio teachers continue to locally develop lessons around these more challenging standards.
To learn more about what these tests and to look at practice tests look like visit the following websites.
Visit ODE’s Testing Portalfor general information about state tests.
Visit Ohio’s New State Tests Resource Page created by John Mansel-Pleydell at NWOCA. This a great one-stop shop.
VisitODE’s Computer-Based Assessment Portalfor more information about administering the assessments, tutorials on how to respond to questions, a thorough description of the different components for each test, and practice tests.